Healthy eating, while traveling is an ever growing issue for many people as more and more meals, are eaten away from home. Unfortunately eating out and on the road can be very challenging if you are not prepared. Here are 5 tips to help you stay lean and healthy while traveling.
1. Always go low carb Restaurant and packaged foods are always loaded with extra hidden carbs. Always choose the lower carb options when eating out avoid traditional snack foods, pieces of bread, pasta dishes, etc. Stick to lean meats and vegetables when eating out.
2. Tell them not to bring it, A bread basket, French fries, or a side of potato chips are standard for many restaurant meals. Do not temp yourself just ask your server not to bring it to the table or with your meal.
3. Know what you are going to eat, When traveling it is best to have some snacks with you and when you go out to eat have a general idea of what you are going to order. You will be less likely to be swayed by tempting calorie filled menu options.
4. Have a backup – Nothing is worse than being stuck in the car or in an airport with nothing to eat. You will get hungry and end up making bad choices. There is nothing else around I guess I will have to eat the steak and cheese. Keep a couple protein bars with you for back up. They travel well and do not spoil. You just need to beware that the protein bars you are eating aren’t loaded with sugar. Check the label for sugar content. Make sure it has less than 30gram of total carbohydrates. Your protein bar should also have at least 20 gram of protein; otherwise, it is not a protein bar – it is most likely a sugar-laden bar!
5. Don’t Eat! Seriously. This one is not for everyone. If you are someone that uses fasting for weight loss then you can follow fasting expert Brad Pilon lead and plan your fasts while you are traveling. Brad once told me that whenever he has to fly he always arranges it to be during a fast so he is not tempted by awful travel food.