If you often find yourself forgetting where you last placed your keys… If you find yourself wondering what you intended to get from the refrigerator, then listen up. Your brain function is facing decline… but the good news is that it’s reversible.
It has long been thought that the brain could not recover from age-related decline but modern science has proven otherwise. Through a process called “neurogenesis”, your brain is able to grow new brain cells. Although its capability to grow new cells decline as you age, it is possible to stimulate your brain for maximum growth. This is why you see some older people seem to possess a young brain – it’s because they stimulate their brain.
In this article, I will attempt to list 5 tips and tricks that I feel are the most important in improving brain functions. The explanation as to why they work is complex and long – and I won’t be going through them here. With that said, let’s begin.
- Your brain only goes through neurogenesis when it is challenged – such as when you are learning a new skill.
- Your brain requires the materials to grow new brain cells. These materials are, of course, your nutrition. A healthy diet, therefore, makes sure your brain has access to the materials when it needs it.
- Manage your stress. Prolonged exposure to stress causes the release of several neurotoxins that destroys brain cells.
- Physical exercise causes the release of hormones and neurotransmitters that boost brain functions such as memory and attention. It also causes increased blood flow necessary for the brain to perform at its peak.
- If you would like specialized help, brain exercises are the way to go to stimulate your brain. Some brain exercises increase your auditory processing capability thus increasing your listening and speaking skills. Some others increase your visual processing capability thus boosting your reading and visual skills. They achieve this by stimulating the part of your brain responsible for these functions.